Skip to main content

Full text of "Byzantine Churches In Constantinople"

See other formats


I48                          BYZANTINE CHURCHES                        CHAP.
as genuine are met by the suggestion made by Mr. Siderides, that when the church of Christ the Philanthropist was appropriated by the Turks in connection with the building of the Seraglio, some patriotic hand removed the remains of Alexius Comnenus from the splendid coffin in which they were first entombed, and, placing them in what proved a convenient receptacle, carried them for safe keeping to the Pammakaristos. The statement that Anna Cpmnena, the celebrated daughter of Alexius Comnenus, was also buried in this church rests upon the misunderstanding of a passage in the work of ML Crusius, where, speaking of that princess, the author says: c Quae (Anna) anno Domini 1117 vixit; filia Alexii Comneni Imp. cujus sepulchrum adhuc exstat in templo patriarchatus Constantinopli a D. Steph. Gerlachio visum.'l
But cujus (whose) refers, not to Anna, but to Alexius. This rendering is put beyond dispute by the statement made by Gerlach in a letter to Crusius, that he found, in the Pammakaristos, c sepulchrum Alexii Comneni avrofcpdropo^ the tomb of the Emperor Alexius Comnenus.2
The church was converted into a mosque under Murad III. (1574-1592), and bears the style Fetiyeh, cof the conqueror,' in honour of the conquest of Georgia and Azerbaijan during his reign. According to Gerlach, the change had been feared for some time, if for no other reason, because of the fine position occupied by the church. But quarrels between different factions of the Greek clergy and between them and Government officials had also something to do with the confiscation of the building.3 When the cross, which glittered above the dome and gleamed far and wide, indicating the seat of the chief prelate of the Orthodox Communion, was taken down,  a great sorrow befell the Christians.'4 The humble church of S. Demetrius Kanabou, in the district of Balat, then became the patriarchal seat until 1614, when that honour was conferred upon the church
1  Turcograecia, p. 46, where the tomb is further described ; * est id lapideum, non insistens 4 basibus, sed integro lapide a terra surgens, altius quam mensa, ad parietem ternplL'
2  Turcograeria, p. 189.
3  Patr. Constantius, p. 72.                                 4 Historia politica, p. 178.